Sharon Davis & Juan Villafane, Photograph by Bryant Gover, originally uploaded by SharonDavis.It's very strange, but I'm actually enjoying this swing class. I don't know what it is really. It could be that I'm just more open minded, but I have the feeling that it's because Alicia is such a hard-ass. You aren't asked to dance to the music or in a way that feels right to you. She tells you straight up that it's not the only way to lindy, but it's what she expects her students to do while in her class.
Knowing that she doesn't expect me to like it, or use it, makes me more open to learning it in the first place. I have become more aware of each step that I take and where I expect to be at any moment during the swing out. It's pretty neat.
One thing that's a bit frustrating is that it's hard to dance with the lindy hoppers who I thought were decent leads before. Knowing each intricacy of the moves and how they should feel only makes the dancers here seem sloppy and somewhat lazy. I don't mind much, because I goof off more than anyone, but it does rip away a bit more of the San Diego pride.
I love the people down here, but I look forward to moving.
Did make us into corresponding shapes like
Puzzle pieces from the clay
True, it may seem like a stretch, but
Its thoughts like this that catch my troubled
Head when you're away when I am missing you to death
When you are out there on the road for
Several weeks of shows and when you scan
The radio, I hope this song will guide you home
They will see us waving from such great
Heights, 'come down now,' they'll say
But everything looks perfect from far away,
'come down now,' but we'll stay...
I tried my best to leave this all on your
Machine but the persistent beat it sounded
Thin upon listening
That frankly will not fly. you will hear
The shrillest highs and lowest lows with
The windows down when this is guiding you home
♫ The Postal Service
No comments:
Post a Comment