LNTP - Current Events, originally uploaded by cortnie dee..
So, again, the arguments about same-sex marriages barraged my thoughts. When I met the I Love A Clean San Diego educator, she informed me that I would be a big help since her partner was pregnant and they both will be going on leave (she even informed me that her partner's kinder class still needs a long-term sub!!). Hearing the word partner brought back the anxiety I felt during the prop-8 voting.
I, personally, find no bearings for the claim that the right to marry should be for straight persons alone (even though the Bible explains otherwise). Why limit the rash commitment, awkward tension, and horrible divorces to one kind of people? I even asked my friends on facebook to explain why gay and lesbian marriages should not be allowed. Here are a two excerpts from (private messaged) responses:
"The lines of separation of church and state are already getting blurred in regards to what you can and can't preach about and what you can and can't do. If prop 8 were to pass, I strongly believe (based on the legal views and litigation that has already taken place and is taking place) that what a pastor can preach about will be censored or he will face legal ramifications. It's already beginning to take place. What a church can do will begin to diminish. The separation of church and state was put into to place so that God's word could be preached without the government being able to influence or control any of it. England was a mess with government controlled religion. So, America didn't want that. Now-a-days, the separation of church and state is kind of reversed. It no longer protects the church it protects the government. It protects the government from any type of influence of God or Christianity."These are responses that were provided after I requested non-Biblical arguments. Still, there is so much speculation and blame poured out in their explanations that it's a shock to me that I once was swayed enough to doubt my original stance. Reading the messages in their entirety is far worse than the above and my heart breaks for those who are unable to refer to their "partner" as husband or wife, due to some scared skeptics, who find no reason to consider the beliefs and emotions of those who are different from them.
"The thing is, most homosexuals are not going to attempt to sue the church and most homosexuals don't have any diabolical plans for the downfall of the Church. However, they are all looking for approval of their lifestyle, that is why they are not happy with the term 'domestic partnership' they want it to be equal with marriage in all aspects, but God is the one who said what 'marriage' was first and He said in Genesis that it was one man and one woman."
I suppose that this is yet another reason I am at peace with my non-conformity. I don't want to fit in with a system of ideals that reprimands those who find love outside of the conservative Christian box. Ever since I found myself pursuing a dating relationship with a great girl from one of my theatre classes, I have acknowledged that there are many reasons that two people may be brought together, despite gender or beliefs. It is not the place of any person or body of persons to hinder how the union can be expressed.
side note: I also think the government benefits of marriage should be lifted. I doubt as many people would be pushing their way to the alter.
That was an odd and awkward rant. You're welcome. :)
You need a light, I'd find a match.
Cuz I love the way you say good morning.
And you take me the way I am.
If you are chilly, here take my sweater.
Your head is aching, I'll make it better.
Cuz I love the way you call me 'baby.'
And you take me the way I am.
1 comment:
"Ever since I found myself pursuing a dating relationship with a great girl from one of my theatre classes,"
say what?
Post a Comment